Life’s Roller Coaster Ride

I barely know where to begin.

I started writing this post about five times now and couldn’t seem to get past the first few lines. Forgive me if I ramble or it seems disjointed.

The last six weeks have been filled with so many highs and lows, I can hardly keep it all straight. In June, I was riding roller coasters with my granddaughters in Legoland and Sea World laughing and have a great time.

Roller Coaster ride at Lego Land

I didn’t realize at the time that my own personal roller coaster ride was just starting.

I went from marveling at some amazing dolphins and watching Archer Fish spit to catch their food, to wondering if I was going to lose family members.

My granddaughter sharing a moment with a dolphin

In Leaving Yesterday in the Dust, I shared that my family had a scare when my niece was rushed to the emergency room unable to breathe.

My beautiful niece and her two kids

From there I wrote in Celebrating Life that my sister had a heart attack and was in the hospital. I shared that it was important for me to celebrate my granddaughter’s and son’s birthdays with them, despite the worry I was carrying for my sister and her daughter.

Hiking at Big Bear

Finally, everything settled down and we were celebrating Katy and Janet’s releases from their respective hospitals. Then July 4th and 5th rocked our world with the biggest earthquakes in Southern California in 20 years.

Oh, and those quakes were centered at my son and his family’s house and they had to evacuate with their girls to our home.

A badly shaken kitchen

Over the next week, the girls stayed with us while their parents went home to clean up the mess back to back earthquakes had caused. I shared in Optimum Health that emotional health was as important as physical health and enjoying my time with my granddaughters was what I needed.

Beach days are the best days!

We had a wonderful time and the girls left the day before a big event I was working on Saturday, July 13th.

Set up for 350 people event
Let the event begin!

The event was a great success and after being on my feet for 10 hours I packed a bag and John drove me to the airport so I could catch a plane for Oregon to visit my other son. On the way, John asked me a few times if I was okay.

I was sitting quietly in the passenger seat watching the fog roll over the Santa Monica Mountains on our way to LAX and told John I was probably just tired. He mentioned I seemed sad.

John hugged me hard and we said goodbye at the curb. I found my way through security and to my gate to wait. When it was time to board, the flight attendant announced that our plane still hadn’t arrived and there would be a delay.

Finding out the delay was several hours, I made my way back to the main terminal to get some breakfast and enjoy a glass of champagne. I figured I might as well make the best of it and relax.

Enjoying the moment

Several hours later, still in my event attire, I arrived in Oregon where my son, Adam and his sidekick, Copernicus were happy to see me.

Me and Adam and Copernicus

After a long day, I had finally made it to Adam’s house and was ready to relax, but the roller coaster wasn’t done with me. I got a call from my sister, Linda and the ride came crashing down with a force that knocked the wind out of me.

…to be continued

Reader Comments

  1. Juliet

    I knew you’d been dealing with a lot, but I had no idea the full extent. as always, I admire your resilience and perseverance. xo

Your thoughts? I would love to hear from you...

Please subscribe to my blog

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from

You have Successfully Subscribed!

%d bloggers like this: